Saturday, January 24, 2015

What is useful?

I was reading about the young woman who after going through a very difficult divorce invented a "Troll slaying Site" for women. Is this a good thing?

I think if you set up a place where people can be honest about their feelings this is always helpful.

However, then if you are in the middle of the street musing about your feelings and a bus or truck is coming if you don't see the bus or truck as you a musing about your feelings you still are going to be dead.

There is also a saying friends often chime in with about this which goes something like "There are only the quick and the lonely"

Another version of this is that there are the quick and the dead.

My wife had a friend who wanted to illustrate this to a friend by moving his car before one of his friends got completely into it to illustrate to him how slow he was and then said, "There's only the quick and the dead".

which you might think is sort of cruel. But, in the end life can be very very cruel.

So, I find the best way is to always try to be prepared for anything.

(This doesn't also mean in some situations you won't be incredibly traumatized either).

The story I like to tell regarding all this is a true one.

I was living in Mt. Shasta with my now ex-wife in 1992 in Mt. Shasta. We had a feral cat that my wife had befriended that we named Pumpkin because of the color of his coat. He would be gone sometimes for days at a time hunting in the forest. But, one hot summer night he came in the kitchen window my wife kept open for him to return at night when he wanted to. The small town was then safe enough to leave your doors unlocked, your windows unlocked and even your car unlocked without any problems at that time.

One night Pumpkin came in and I guess banged the stick we had in the old fashioned window (from about 1925) that held up the window. But, when he knocked out the stick the window came down and he immediately in intense pain from his tail being trapped completely reverted to wild reactions. So, he was screaming and carrying on in pain being hung by his tail on the wall in the kitchen.

So, my wife got up to help him. So, soon both were screaming like someone was killing them. So, from a sound sleep I jumped up and ran suddenly and opened the window and pumpkin let his bite out of my wife's hand and ran out the window and didn't return for several days. He had bit completely through my wife's hand and then I fell down and threw up in the corner from jumping up from a dead sleep.

The point is sometimes you just have to move quickly and not talk forever about something. There is a time for talking and there is a time for action and determining which time it is to do which might just save your life (or someone else's).

Note: We took my wife to the doctor but he had only nicked a few tendons in her hand that then healed and he hadn't broken her hand with the bite. However, she couldn't use her hand for anything much for a few weeks because it was all bandaged and stitched up.

No comments: