Saturday, January 24, 2015

Wildflowers starting to bloom on January 22nd in Northern California?






Each year we have been getting wildflowers earlier and earlier but wildflowers by the 22nd of January? This is pretty crazy. It's true it's the first ones like Indian Paintbrush and some little golden flowers. And I suppose all the rains in late November and early December likely caused this along with temperatures along the coast at 73 to 75 degrees which are more like what you might expect in Santa Monica not near San Francisco this time of year!

Like today I got up and could put shorts on without a shirt in my back yard and when I got into my Hot tub with my son the other day my wife was telling me I got a sunburn (in the winter?).

So, this has been a pretty crazy winter since about Christmas so far with temperatures this high. And last summer most of it I was able to leave all the windows with screens open for about 3 months from June through August and into Semptember. This is something I haven't done before either this far north.

Also, though I skied one day this year at Timberline in Oregon I also had a dish sized injury from being thrown off the ski lifts there because it was so cold ice built up on the lift  pulleys and threw every 4th chair full of skiers and snowboarders off the lift because it was 15 degrees there with 30 mile per hour winds.

But, there is not snow much where I like to ski which is in Mt. Shasta unless it is above 7000 feet. So, unless you like to ski dirt you aren't going to ski much there either.

Here is their base cam at Mt. Shasta ski park:(It will display I guess whether it is day or night and since there isn't any skiing it won't be lit at night.) I"m looking at it presently at 9:30pm California time and all I can see is the reflections on the chairs in the bottom photo cam.

BASE CAM

CAM 2 - BASE

TERRAIN CAM

CAM 2 - TERRAIN PARK

No comments: