Sunday, July 28, 2019

Why might Once upon a time in Hollywood be Tarantino's best film?

Because it is less gory than previous movies he has made and instead has many other draws. For example, you can tell he loved this era a lot from the care he gave to many different elements of the movie. So, it is a very enjoyable ride of a movie, especially if you were there when 1969 actually happened like I was. It was a remarkable era even though it was very crazy in some ways too. But, then again you don't think this era is crazy in an entirely different way? This era is undoing everything good about America since 1945 by the way which is a whole new kind of crazy I haven't ever seen before.

But, it is true that 1969 was unique in it's own way from any other era in the last 200 years or more and we probably won't see anything like it ever again for a variety of reasons. So, there is a lot of nostalgia and even love that Tarantino put into this movie. As I left the theater I noticed most people watching this movie (at the showing I went to) were over 50 years old which was interesting in itself.

I remember most everything they showed in this movie of the times, for example, no seat belts and people driving with all the windows open and no one locking their cars very much either. All of these things you don't see much anymore. However, sometimes I like to open at least two windows of the car while I'm driving even if I have a heater on or an air conditioner on depending upon what temperature it is that day.

But, you don't see people doing this much anymore either. But, I have a lot of nostalgia for those days myself. I don't like the craziness of today because to me it is more insane than the 1960s and 1970s by far. the 1960s and 1970s craziness I could sort of deal with. The craziness of today not so much.

But, I suppose everyone might feel that way about the era that they came of age in.

It had in some ways somewhat the same kind of feeling of "The Nice Guys" (2016) with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe which is another really great movie of the era.

No comments: