Friday, May 25, 2012

Snoring

Many people dealing with snoring and Sleep Apnea of various kinds which reduces oxygen to the brain while sleeping and makes people feel not rested when they wake up in the morning and various other problems in their lives.

So, how does one deal with this? I have tried various ways in my own life. The first way that I tried when my wife was upset because she couldn't sleep were the tapes on the nose to keep your nostrils open so they don't close when you sleep. I have also used nose clips which clip on the front of the septum and seem to help as well. However, over time both of these seemed kind of onerous in one way or another. Then there are the masks that many people wear to during the night to help them not snore etc.

However, over 40 or 50 years of age many people have problems with circulation at night so masks might be counter productive for many in regard to getting enough blood and oxygen to face and to your brain while sleeping.

For example, in my case after I almost died from a heart virus in 1998 and 1999 when doctors told me I was going to live I noticed that at night if I wasn't careful my feet might turn blue. So, I found out that the most dangerous time for me was when I slept. Because even though I could walk, ride a bicycle and ski or ride a jet ski or motorcycle or even fly a plane I still had to watch and to take care of myself while I slept so I didn't have problems or die while asleep. Then around 2006 I was diagnosed as a hypothyroid sufferer which increased my longevity likely by 25 to 30 years or more as I expected to be dead by now during my 50s when my hypothyroid condition hadn't been diagnosed yet because in my early 50s I was getting bronchitis up to 5 or more times a year so I expected to be dead by 60 to 65 from pneumonia even though I haven't ever had pneumonia yet. But through using sudafed, coricidan, vitamin C and antibiotics like Zithromax I have been able to stay alive the last 15 years until 2006 when all this changed and I stopped having bronchitis because I started using Armour Thyroid from Canada by prescription.

So, the latest and most useful way for me to reduce my snoring by about 80% or more is to use a foam wedge while I sleep. By using a wedge and elevating my head and upper body this then reduces my snoring. I have also heard of people sitting and sleeping in lazyboys lounge chairs to accomplish the same thing. Another problem people tend to have over 40 is acid reflux from the stomach coming up while they are asleep. This can be quite terrifying so often I will take an antacid like Tums before sleeping so I don't have this problem in the middle of the night and choke and have trouble breathing while clearing my throat and nasal passages unexpectedly. Also, reflux isn't a good thing to experience because the burning of reflux can contribute to various kinds of cancer of the throat and larnyx. So, finding ways not to experience it at night is very important.

The wedge also contributes to reducing reflux experiences along with Tums or other antacids while sleeping especially over age 40.

So, though we all might live to be 100 or more it is important to learn all the tricks you can to prevent starvation of oxygen by the brain during snoring and preventing reflux especially at night when asleep in order to prevent cancer of the throat or choking for a few minutes while waking up with incredible burning in your nose, throat and lungs.

So, I use a foam wedge to sleep on with my upper body and head, then I add a pillow laid across the top and then another pillow that I scrunch up to fit my head into. This allows me to reduce both snoring and any reflux episodes by 80% or more so I wake up refreshed after sleeping at night rather than feeling exhausted in the morning because I missed deep cycle sleeping and dreaming because of snoring and oxygen deprivation to the brain during sleeping while snoring.

So, the foam wedge especially if you are a heavy snorer even starting in your 30s or earlier may allow you to wake up feeling more refreshed with many more deep sleep and dreaming  cycles, as well as preventing along with antacids or other medications reflux as well. Using a foam wedge with two pillows on top has really increased my quality of life both at night while sleeping and during the day feeling more refreshed and younger and feeling much more vital than before.

Longevity requires adaptation in lifestyle and diet constantly. Without adaptation to new problems longevity doesn't exist for many people. So, by constantly responding to the problems of aging with new and more innovative adaptations more and more of us will live to 100 and beyond with all these adaptations and medical innovations over the next few hundred to thousands of years.

No comments: