Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Compassion

As far as I can tell the basis of human civilization is compassion. So then, it becomes how wise and practical is your compassion towards yourself and all living beings? Is your compassion the silliness of children which tends to be dangerous not only to the giver but sometimes to the receiver? OR are you a wise practitioner of compassion (as much as possible) in all your dealings with all living beings.

I woke up to such a challenge this morning. All of you might have made different choices than I but here is what actually happened. Last night I couldn't sleep because as an intuitive the energy around the world has been particularly crazy this last week. And in addition on Monday one of my daughter's friends who is under age wanted to move her mother's car a few feet. However, the car was a stick shift and in first gear. So when she turned the ignition to start the car jumped forward and totaled the front end on a pole.

So, that is sort of how the week began with strange energy occurrences. The day before some kids had spat upon them in a restaurant so the energy definitely for the week was weird for that family.

So, late last night I wanted to write more about "Merlin" that I had written this week but my spiritual teachers came to me and said, "Don't write tonight you need to sleep" because it was already almost 3 AM and I hadn't slept yet. So, I just turned over and went to sleep even though I wanted to write.

This morning about 8 AM I realized why my teachers had wanted me to sleep because my older Dog (a German Shepard-Australian Shepard combination) (The best dog I have ever known) began to gag sort of like having an asthma attack. He has done this before but usually it subsides after 5 or 10 minutes and we usually just put him outside so he can yack up stuff or relieve himself in any direction he needs to. But this went on and on and my son (who is a nurse) started getting mad at me for not getting up and dealing with my dog. But from my point of view he would either live or die because he is already almost 14 years old and can't hear very well and is getting cataracts in his eyes. If I were him I would want to be put out of my misery too. So, I was sort of hoping for his sake that he was reaching the end of the line. But as my son got angry with me I realized it was now less about how my dog felt and more about how my son and wife and daughter would feel. So, I started coming into my body enough to get up and really deal with the situation because of the irritation my son was feeling. Then he called my wife and got her into the situation so I knew it was going to start emotionally going to start spinning more out of control. Since I tend to be the calmest in these kinds of situations because I have had to deal with a lot of personal deaths in my life all my life, I knew I had to be calm but firm and considering all the options and clear headed. So, we loaded my Dog into the back seat of my 6 passenger 4wd Truck and he immediately began to calm down. Maybe it was the attention or the artificial den experience for him but all the choking and gagging stopped almost immediately after we left the house. Then we were going to his regular vet but it turned out she was out of town. So, then we went to an emergency center for pets and they thought he might have a larynx disorder that interferes with his breathing periodically. So that is what they thought it might be whereas I think it is more like an asthma attack or an allergic reaction to something because about every week or two he has been doing this for 5 or 10 minutes for years now.

So, my wise compassion towards my dog had to be overcome for my compassion towards my son and wife and potentially my daughter who is now starting her finals at the end of the school year. So, now I've had about 5 hours sleep or less and I'm wondering if I can take a nap or if I should write more about Merlin.

No comments: