Tuesday, January 1, 2019

The Bobcat

Last time I was in Santa Barbara, the night before last, I realized that the Bobcat is still staying where I was staying. I had wanted to rake up some oak leaves and sort of got it that wasn't happening at night. I realized why later in the night when I was checking to make sure I had closed the windows because it was going to be pretty cold that night and this house doesn't have thermopane windows because it is so far south in California and was built in the 1950s also. When I checked the window next to me I heard a roar like a mountain lion. This sort of sent my hair up on the back of my neck which is a very mammalian response to hearing something like this unexpectedly. So, I knew the Bobcat was right outside my window. So, I realized I likely wasn't going to go outside that night so I wouldn't have to encounter the Bobcat unexpectedly. We had heard him last time we had visited in Santa Barbara there so he obviously liked the house to hang out around there in the forest. So, I guess he is a local guardian of the area now. When I got up in the morning to pack my truck I wasn't worried though because he would have gone hunting at or before dawn to get food. He would catch rabbits or small pets like dogs or cats or birds to eat there. They could tear up a human or child pretty good too if they were unwise enough to approach a Bobcat. Bobcats are wild and are very different than any domesticated animal. But, if you know their habits (like I do) you can be safe around them too.

Complementary Results

Knowledge Result

Bobcat
Animal

Description

The bobcat is a North American cat that appeared during the Irvingtonian stage of around 1.8 million years ago. Containing 2 recognized subspecies, it ranges from southern Canada to central Mexico, including most of the contiguous United States. Wikipedia
Mass19 lbs (Adult) Encyclopedia of Life
Scientific nameLynx rufus
Lifespan7 years
Conservation statusLeast Concern (Population stable) Encyclopedia of Life
Did you knowBobcats can be various shades of buff and brown, with dark brown or black stripes and spots on some parts of the body. wa.gov

No comments: