Monday, July 15, 2019

There are many many ways to process reality

Some people think there is only one way to process reality. Their way. But this is usually where they get into trouble. Recently, I realized for example, that someone could feel like they were a victim of someone tall like me even if I never even spoke to them just because I'm 6 feet 5 inches tall and this scares some people. So, for example, a person could theoretically feel like a victim if someone tall just said to them, "Hello" or "Hi" while being very sincere about the greeting and never meaning it as a threat of any kind.

However, it is also true that people were friendlier in California when I grew up and in the 1960s and 1970s when I came of age at 21 in 1969. So, Friendliness was just a part of being a coastal Californian and surfer in the 1960s for me. If I was hiking I would greet people and say "Hi" and find out what I needed to know that was happening on the trail ahead of me. This is just a matter of safety for yourself and those around you.

For example, when I was in Yellowstone years ago now and camping someone said a bear was in the vicinity. This is pretty serious if you are camping because most bears in Yellowstone are Grizzlies which tend to be very territorial. So, I sent my wife and stepdaughter off back to our van while my son and I broke camp and carried the tent and camping supplies out the long trail  to our van. But then, we were confronted with a teenage Moose that was as tall at it's shoulder as me at 6 feet 5 inches tall. This was a little nerve wracking for my son and I because we weren't sure what this guy was going to do. But, he walked within about 2 to 3 feet of us and just kept going. He didn't feel afraid of us at all because he was much bigger than either of us. I'm not even sure if he had seen another human before or not before that moment because he did seem pretty surprised and curious as to what we actually were.

So, everyone was okay but it was a little nervy of a moment. We never did see the bear just his poop which let us know he had actually been there. Grizzly poop is big almost like an elephants so there is really no mistaking it for anything else.

No comments: