Thursday, July 18, 2019

When you see high temperatures in California, Nevada and Arizona just remember it is dry heat which is more survivable than humid heat

When you get above 90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with humid heat that often can be fatal. However, you can survive 110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit in places like Palm Springs or Las Vegas or other places if the air is dry enough IF you can get in the shade, get plenty of water and your health is good enough to survive that, otherwise you won't.

For example, when I was around 27 years old in 1975 I survived about 24 to 36 hours without any air conditioning in 120 degrees by getting into the shade and doing most of our mining asseying work while it was cooler. However, the coldest it ever got during that time in Gila Bend, Arizona doing asseying mining work was 100 degrees at 6 am in the morning so your armpits on your T-shirt would get crusty with salt and it would scrape your armpits unless you broke off the crusty salt and stuff from your body. The other thing I had to deal with was headaches from being in that heat and dryness that long and I had to drink at least a gallon of water a day while I was there. So, if your health is good enough and you have enough good food and water you CAN be sort of okay in 120 degrees to 125 degrees if you are very careful.

When I thought I might pass out from the heat I got on my dualsport Honda 250 motorcycle and wet my T-Shirt at a windmill drawn pool there to bring water up for the animals that lived there year around. So, even though the water smelled of sulphur when I rode down dry washes then in 1975 it cooled me down and kept me from passing out from the heat until I recovered a little.

So, I guess what I'm saying is even 120 to 125 degrees it is possible to survive in even without an air conditioner if you still do most of your work when it is cooler than that (not above 105 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.) Of course there are always people adapted to such harsh conditions that can do all sorts of things but not very many. Most people not used to these conditions wouldn't survive very long. So, knowing what you can and cannot survive is important when you go into conditions like this. This is really really important to remember.

For example from about April to October you might find temperatures between 100 degrees and 127 degrees in Palm Springs, California. So, if you are there don't be surprised if you see it. I have seen more than once there 110 degrees at midnight and over 120 to 125 degrees during the day time. So, be careful if you find yourself there this summer. Getting out of your air conditioned car in 120 degrees is similar to climbing into an oven by the way. It literally feels like you are being cooked or roasted alive.

No comments: