Thursday, October 31, 2019

I was studying Network Engineering around 1997 and 1998

I was studying in San Jose then near the San Jose Airport and I found it interesting because the people I was studying alongside of were often the inventors of things like Adobe Photoshop and things like this. By Network engineering I mean specifically learning to help define and design the Internet itself along with all the applications of various sorts.

However, compared with now all this was pretty primitive in nature because the Internet was still being fleshed out a lot at this point.

For example, when I decided to start my first blog in the summer "June" of 1999 they didn't even call them blogs yet you just had a "Site" that you programmed for yourself in HTML or a compatible language like Java or other things. I stuck with HTML simply because in 1995 I saved a page of yahoo.com and played with the programming until I pretty much understood how things worked so I could start (at the very least using break and Paragraph) (I cannot even put the actual signs here because they will execute instead of be visible for you to see) br and P for example. I guess I got away with it because I didn't use < or   > around the br and the P.

Break for example means in HTML to start a new line of typing and P means to start a new paragraph
which is the basic minimum you need to know if you are going to type and have anything work at all without any graphics in HTML. HTML simply means Hypertext Markup Language which is the first language and basis of how the Internet works page by page online.

Then there is TCP/IP which routes through all the various devices that can be used to access
the internet worldwide. Imagine TCP/IP is a translator sort of like C3po in Star wars who is capable of communicating in 90,000 languages or so (probably less for TCP/IP) worldwide although is't really hard to say at this point.

When you want to use graphics and links then all this becomes far more difficult to understand even in HTML let alone compatible languages like Java and others.
TCP/IP, or the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, is a suite of communication protocols used to interconnect network devices on the internet. TCP/IP can also be used as a communications protocol in a private network (an intranet or an extranet).
For example, at this present site I don't have to program in HTML at all unless I want to and instead I use autoencoders to do all the heavy lifting for me which saves at least 90% of my time in being more efficient (generally speaking). At this site you can go into "Compose" which just means autoencoders or you can do it in HTML if you want to also. The autoencoders translate whatever I put here into HTML or a compatible language.
However, it might also be important to know that I started out as a computer programmer in 1966 in College by learning Fortran and Cobol and by 1967 was working part time while going to college for the Glendale board of Education on their computers processing IQ tests for students in college and the public school system there in various kinds of testing. By 1968 I was a computer operator working in the field for Foremost-McKesson and later for an accounting firm working midnight to Noon 7 days a week. However, that was a schedule I wasn't biologically suited to because I couldn't really work 2 to 6 am and make that work and stay healthy I found. I learned from that I wasn't going to be any good working graveyard shifts although I found working swing shift (until midnight) did work for me. So, by the time I was 20 I could buy myself a brand new 1968 Camaro which was great for being a 20 year old and going out on dates with girls and stuff like that. So, it was nice to be making really good money at age 20 already.
But, by about 1970 I had realized that it would be 50 years before I could actually do the kind of research that was meaningful to me because for example, there was no RAM yet and other things (outside of NASA and the military yet). So, I went in another direction in my life instead. I had wanted to build myself and ideal robot female as a companion (which is pretty funny looking back at thinking this way now) HAHA. But, of course I was thinking in "Star Trek" or Star Wars ways which weren't very realistic until this present century and remember this is still 1966 to 1970 then.




No comments: