Saturday, May 30, 2020

What to do in winds over 100 mph?

First of all, you want to be inside a building, hopefully made of reinforced concrete so the roof doesn't blow off if you are in above 100 mph wind blowing outside. I think they have recorded winds in hurricanes now up to at most 300 miles per hour. But, even at 100 miles per hour mostly a human being cannot really stand up and walk very well or at all in winds this high without being blown down or being hit with branches or signs blowing by.

The one time I can remember being in winds over 100 mph was on top of San Gorgonio Mountain in the winter time (highest mountain in southern California) and the ice blowing through the air was starting to rip the skin from my face and making it bleed. So, luckily I had some plastic to slide down in the snow from the summit with so I covered my face with this plastic but it was so loud (the ice pieces hitting the plastic covering my face so it wouldn't be ripped off that I felt like I was going deaf at that point. But, having a face was more important than my hearing right then. I was near the summit and my friends were not there like I expected so I finally just slid down towards the valley to the east or north east I believe at that point out of the 100 mph plus winds. I also experience winds like this on top of Mt. Shasta in August 1970 as well but things were not blowing around just some dust then. So, I was okay falling down in the high winds and getting up because I was only 22 then and pretty sturdy at that age. And after I made the summit I could go down off the summit out of the winds.

I had to rescue a sea gull that had been blown onto the summit at around 13,000 feet. I had to chase him off a cliff because he couldn't get enough air under his wings to take off at that altitude. So, I watched him drop off that cliff up to 100 feet before he got enough wind under his wings to fly but then he could fly away to safety.

At that altitude it is hard to get enough air to breathe and I felt like a 5 year old child and trying to keep my willpower and focus intact I found very hard at over 14,000 feet. I summited at around 4 pm and once again I had taken plastic to slide down in the snow with. So, I used by Ice axe as a brake and that time in 1970 we had straps so you wouldn't lose your ice axe so I couldn't lose it sliding down from about 12,000 feet down to about 9000 feet where the snow ended.

IF your roof blows off your home with winds over 100 mph you might need a rope to tie yourself to something like a telephone pole or cement, a truck or a car or something substantial that isn't going to move in the high winds so you don't blow away. You can use most ropes that have about 1000 pound test so you aren't blown away into the next county and die. You could also use rock climbing ropes to tie yourself and your family to so they don't completely blow away in these kinds of winds.

But, if you are somewhere that tornadoes or hurricanes occur you need to have some sort of plan to survive these things.

By God's Grace

Though we have winds in California including Santana winds off the deserts they don't usually go above 80 to 90 miles per hour. We seldom see 100 plus miles and hour winds unless they are off the ocean in maybe January to March where trees sometimes blow down and knock out the power on the coast.

Complementary Results

Knowledge Result

San Gorgonio Mountain
Mountain in California

Description

Description

San Gorgonio Mountain, also known locally as Mount San Gorgonio, or Old Greyback, is the highest peak in Southern California and the Transverse Ranges at 11,503 feet. It is in the San Bernardino Mountains, 27 miles east of the city of San Bernardino and 12 miles north-northeast of San Gorgonio Pass. Wikipedia
Elevation11,503′
Prominence8,294′
Topo mapUSGS San Gorgonio Mountain
Isolation162.49 mi (261.50 km) → Charleston Peak
Questions & answers

No comments: