Tuesday, August 31, 2021

My father taught me how to be married with a family, how to maintain and repair cars and trucks and how to build houses

 Though my father was valedictorian of his High School Senior Class in 1934 his father wouldn't allow him or his brothers to go to college. My father wanted to be an Electrical Engineer. However, looking back from now he was an out of doors man like his father and me too. So, I'm not sure working in an office would have suited him. I found working in an office didn't suit me either unless I owned the business I was working in and even then I could choose my own hours which I always liked a lot.

 So, the main things I learned by his example in life were maintaining a family, maintaining cars and trucks, maintaining acreage and properties and houses and building houses.

I think this came from my Great Grandfather who owned a farm and owned a drug store he started in the 1870s after he was a Captain in the Northern Army in the Civil War out of Kansas then. He owned his drug store and he started by buying medicines from Native American Medicine men locally then and ran his drugstore until 1925 when he retired and lived until the 1940s. I think he was born around 1844 or something like that so he almost lived to 100. His wife my Great Grandmother lived to be 105 years old. So, she didn't pass away until the 1950s.

My Grandfather started out as a Pitcher for a baseball team in Kansas. I think his nickname was "Pinky" because he had red hair. He later became an electrician and traveled and worked throughout the western states especially Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, Arizona and Texas. My grandmother was from Texas and she gave me my first rifle when I was 8 years old which was a .22 rifle owned by my father when he was young. My Grandfather was born in the late 1870s and lived until 1970.

No comments: