Sunday, August 29, 2021

Writing

Write what you know most about. The further you move from your knowledge the more it tends to show. However, if you are writing fantasy then reality can be anything and it might not show so much. But, if you are going to use factual places or factual dates for those places or real people in your writing it might help to do enough research so you sound like you know what you are actually talking about.

One thing that helps me a lot I find is to read something I have written days, weeks, months or years after when I wrote it. This allows me to be somewhat of a different person than the one who actually wrote it. The more time removed from what you write the clearer you might be in analyzing what you have written.

Often people who weren't alive then or were children under 12 then might like to write about the 1950s or 1960s especially. However, people who actually lived through the 1960s and 1970s might say, :"If you remember it you likely weren't there." But, this might apply mostly to people 15 to 35 between 1965 to 1980.

For example, I lived through the Bay of Pigs, The Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy Assassination, Viet Nam War and so movies like: Forrest Gump really made me cry because somehow Forrest Gump caught the Zeitgeist of that era maybe better than any other movie in an endearing way.

I think that's why people love that movie so much because watching that movie tends to heal the worst of what we went through then in many different ways.

Writing can be healing. I started writing about Arcane as a way to heal a lot of things I survived under 30 then starting in 1980. Here it is 2021 and I'm still writing about Arcane today.

Of course that was an amazing lifetime that spanned thousands of years that I still remember today even though I'm in a different body now. (even millions of years it spanned).

Write about what you know about.

It might heal not only you but others who need healing from their own lives too.

By God's Grace 

No comments: