Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Dentistry

This morning I went to the Dentist (Oral Surgeon) for an Implant for a molar I had removed in March. It was amazingly quick to put in a new implant by the way. Because I can't have epinephrine because of my pacemaker and other reasons they had to give me carbocaine instead of an epinephrine pain killer for this operation. So, the doctor was telling me that he had only about 10 minutes to do this efficiently. This was fine for me because of about 5 or more needles into that area of the Molar. The only problem for me is that I had a gag reflex from the gauze they put in your mouth but this was easily solved so the operation went smoothly and quickly. They put a rubber spacer in the opposite side of your mouth so you don't bite down during the operation through reflex. But, basically once the needles put the carbocaine in it was basically painless. So, if you are psychologically stoic enough to let it happen it was really quick in my case. This guy is younger and really good at what he does. Then they took an X-ray of my mouth and I could see the implant in my upper jaw and it looked like a little space capsule there. I noticed the molar implants are much larger than the one I have on one of my front teeth. It's likely because a molar usually has about 4 roots and an eye tooth or front teeth are only a single root. This is likely why this is true. 

What they did before about 14 years ago now for one of my front teeth is that they put the implant in and then later (about 6 months or a year later) they take out the screw that goes into the implant and mount a new false tooth on it and mount it using that screw into the implant. This is basically how an implant works to stabilize the tooth by having the implant in your upper or lower jaw that a screw then goes into to mount the tooth on.

Technology is more amazing every day of what they can do I realize medically and also through dentistry.

The other thing that amazed me is that there really was no bleeding once they were done and no blood taste in my mouth at any point. This was one of several amazing things about this procedure. And now over an hour or so later there is still no blood but I can tell I'm going to feel it soon as the pain killer wears off within an hour or two.

But, other than that everything is fine and dandy and things are going well for me regarding this procedure and presently at least I'm in no pain at all. So, this is a good outcome so far.

No comments: