Thursday, January 27, 2011

Amazon now sells more Kindle E-books than paperbacks

Amazon sales pop as Kindle books overtake paperbacks

To read full news article click on "Amazon sales pop" above. See quotes below.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- OK, bookworms, now you can declare Armageddon: Kindle e-books have overtaken paperback books as the bestselling type of content in Amazon's bookstore.


2nd quote from same article:

In fact, for every 100 paperback books sold, Amazon has sold 115 Kindle books since the beginning of the year, the company said.

end quote from:
Amazon sales pop as Kindle books overtake paperbacks

Also, on a Kindle 2 you can store about 1500 non-illustrated books on its 1.5 Gigabyte memory.

I bought my son one and my god-daughter got herself one and when I told my wife about Amazon selling more Kindle books at  115 e-books per 100 paperbacks since the new year(2011) she decided she wanted one too.  However, since she buys a lot of romance, adventure and fantasy paperbacks and then gives them to friends who can't afford to buy them after she reads the books, I mentioned that she still needed to do that some as well because she can't loan or give away an E-book because the Kindle Reader would stay with us. However, for reading at the beach or indoors with a light or a lantern or even by candlelight or in direct sunlight anywhere, the non-backlit Kindle is readable in full sunlight because of the way it is designed whereas many flat screens of any size are not so much easily readable in direct sunlight.


What happened in our area was this. First Borders came in an put all new book stores out of business in the area where I live. Then Borders went out of business so there is literally no place to go and buy new books or paperbacks. This really upset my wife who reads a lot. So, anytime we visit someplace like San Francisco or Portland Oregon or wherever she visits bookstores and buys paperbacks because she prefers  to read that way. However, for me, since I started to wear glasses in my mid 40s the print is too small on paperbacks for me to read more than an hour without headaches. However, I just bought a Kindle and found when I slightly enlarge the print I don't get headaches. So, I'm very happy about this because I can now read more. The computer print I can also make a size that doesn't give me a headache either. So, all's well that ends well. (for me at least).

No comments: