Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Catfish: a Documentary

My daughter is almost 15 and her friends at school had told her about the documentary "Catfish" that is about a real life Facebook experience. A young man finds a girl online who he "falls in love with" but as time goes on he finds things aren't the way they seem. The documentary is about this real life experience.

I found myself being very uncomfortable at first with the movie and thinking all involved who made it were pretty young and naive and inexperienced to be approaching all this the way they obviously were. However, as I thought about it, people aren't born 62 years old like I am now. And after all a whole lot of suffering taught me what I now know about life and the only way you learn stuff is by suffering a whole lot it seems. This movie shared a lot of the suffering that comes from broken dreams.

Though it is a cautionary tale, it is an important one, and I recommend seeing it, especially if you have kids or friends on Facebook from ages 10 through 30 years of age. Even us older folks above 30 can learn from this movie documentary.

No comments: