I'm 62 so I guess it is just par for the course. However, it is hard to look around and have all the people older than you that you grew up with (parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, teachers, ministers) dead. So that you are all that's left of your past life while you grew up. All that is left now is cousins, my children and their children. All my other relatives are dead and gone now. I have found myself to be kind of weepy the past few weeks. And the dead in Tucson didn't help me with this.
But tonight I was helped by just accepting that everyone older than I (more than 10 years older) that I knew since 1948 when I was born is dead and gone now. Somehow it was a relief to know this is what has been bothering me. I am all that is left of the life I knew growing up except my cousins now, and already 4 of them have now died as well.
I used to wonder what it was like to be old. I can tell you now what it is like. It is like standing in the sand at the ocean with your feet in the ocean. It is like when after the wave breaks it begins to suck the sand out from under your feet with the water returning back into the ocean and you wonder if you might fall down from all the sand leaving from under your feet. This is what it is like to grow old and to lose everyone you knew growing up. So the next time you see someone with that strange elder look in their eyes please remember my story. If you live long enough you will get there too.
To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future
Top 10 Posts This Month
- Dolly Parton on English version of Wikipedia
- Cancer rates 1900 to 2000 and beyond
- As of September 16th at around 6 am this is the most read article here at this blog
- Strait of Hormuz shut until Tehran's conditions met, Ghalibaf says
- Inside the bipartisan effort to stop the Big Bend border wall
- Hunter charged with manslaughter in shooting of woman he mistook for a deer: Police
- Russia’s New Favorite Jihadis: The Taliban
- From Google Images these are all variations of Tibetan Momos
- This article is about the French Language but written mostly in English (The French call their language (Francais)
- Protesters form human chain at Kennedy Center amid Trump's threats to demolish it
No comments:
Post a Comment