Thursday, January 27, 2011

Plasma As a Basis of Life?

Every since I saw

create life on PBS on TV by taking all the air out of a large glass vacuum bottle while first having put denatured earth (dirt) inside and then shooting it with plasma from a Tesla coil while vacuum was maintained I wondered about how life was created without any oxygen, without any life and without any water by just shooting plasma through a vacuum bottle with denatured earth inside. But after the experiment he showed that indeed life was created by this experiment even though no life at all was present before the plasma (artificial lightning) shot through the jar.

That was in the late 1970s or early 1980s. So, I have had at least 30 years to let these thoughts percolate through my mind and brain. So, I'm now in the position of believing that Plasma is one of the bases of life along with oxygen, earth and water and other things.

Also, since life could be created here on earth with no oxygen or water present, it is quite possible that plasma caused by static discharge in any environment in the universe might also create life (though different than we know it) to exist millions or even trillions of places that we might not expect even without water or oxygen present.

For me, this is a scientific revelation, and takes me in a different direction than I have heard postulated before except by Carl Sagan on TV. Though this might also be a scientific theory with papers present by graduate students or beyond, I think this theory deserves a lot more research, as I presently believe that all life including humans might have originated either here or anywhere else in the galaxy just from plasma discharges and matter combining in various ways. Also, if plasma is the true basis of water and solid based life as we know it on earth, is plasma life itself? Is plasma a form that relates originally to the concept of the Greek and Norse Gods of ancient history? Are humans related to plasma beings composed entirely of plasma that might live in Stars, Constellations, Nebulas, Galaxies?

Since all life on earth exists because of photons generated by plasma in the sun it makes me think that the answer may be "Yes" to some or even all these questions.

Note: I couldn't remember Carl Sagan's name at first but knew he taught at Cornell University. So, I looked up Cornell University on Wikipedia. At first I couldn't find Carl Sagan as one of the luminaries (alumni) of Cornell but eventually found Carl Sagan under the heading "Astronomy". For some reason I was thinking that his specialty had been "Physics" but I guess he was first known as an Astronomer and second as a physicist(He was an Professor of Astronomy and the Space Sciences) which I believe was how he eventually wound up on television as he was a very very engaging lecturer and popularizer of Space possibilities in regard to NASA and a champion of scientific thinking and exactly the kind of research and development the U.S. needs right now to get its feeling of self worth and confidence back after the last decade of uncertainty, financial and otherwise.

No comments: