Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Changes Worldwide

I'm not given to apocalyptic thinking as in, "The world's going to end and we're all going to die!"
So, even though in my parents Christian Mystic Church growing up people all were always talking about "The Change" I just heard to many people always saying the equivalent of: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" And so I've sort of come as an adult to thinking about such people much like chicken little who is sort of like the boy who cried wolf.

No. I think that things because of Global Climate Change (whatever the cause human or weather war or alien or all the above or none of the above) will slowly make the weather more extreme in all ways worldwide. We see this now almost every day or month around the world with something extreme happening that never happened before in about 100 years or more. And this is likely to continue like this ongoing.

I was skiing on Mt. Shasta recently in the last month on Mountaineering skis and a young man in his early twenties walked down the paved road the opposite direction as I was going back up to my car. The temperature was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit and I was walking to my car a mile or so away because I was cold and didn't want to wait for a ride that might not ever come to take me up to my car. Since I live on the ocean 20 degrees is not something my body or lungs was used to. As I passed this young man I asked him if he had climbed the mountain (14,161 feet with snow then from 5,000 feet to the top). He told me he tried to Summit alone with just an ice axe and crampons and had taken a train from San Francisco to dunsmuir and had walked from Dunsmuir. For a person my age (62) this sounded kind of crazy. But then again I have met really athletic people like this young man before who attempt the impossible and often survive it. He said that 100 mile per hour winds kept blowing him down at about 12,000 feet to 13,000 feet and he finally had to turn back to stay alive.

I told him that I too had summited Mt. Shasta in 1970 and that I too was blown down several times summiting because near the tops of mountains above 10,000 feet or so there is no obstacle to stop the wind so it often travels at 100 mph or faster. But if it comes in gusts like he was experiencing it can make you bloody or dead depending upon the circumstances. I also had a problem summiting San Gorgonio Mountain (11,000 feet plus) in southern California. It was blowing snow and ice at over 100 miles per hour and luckily I had a piece of plastic about 4ml to slide down after I summited that I could put over my face so the wind and Ice wouldn't rip off parts of my face. So by wearing thick gloves and plastic over my face I could summit San Gorgonio without getting too bloody or injured.

In case you are worried about this young man when I reached my car, he had waited with my friends at the lower Sand Flats Rd. as I had promised him a ride down the mountain back to civilization as I didn't want him to freeze as it was getting dark and likely would get down close to zero Fahrenheit at this altitude and he didn't have ice camping gear, just water and protein bars and an ice axe and crampons. So, I picked up the two friends I had been skiing with and this young man from San Francisco before they all froze to death as it was getting dark when I got back to them with the car and took them into the little city of Mt. Shasta 4000 feet vertical and many miles below.

As the winds on earth increase in unpredictability and force slowly over the years on into the future, I see them being the hardest for humans and animals and plants to survive. Crops more and more will have to be protected from the winds which either will dry out fields or inundate them by rain or freezing or destroy the crops with blowing ice and snow and wind chill factors worldwide.

So, I think more and more you will see (of necessity) crops grown inside greenhouses and other indoor or even underground or recessed into the ground kind of places worldwide. This, obviously is going to make growing food more and more and more expensive, so I think you will see people around the world starting to grow food inside their houses or apartments next to a sunny window or skylight to protect edible plants from wind and rain and snow. I also think you will see more of all types of greenhouses to grow food during the winter, especially potatoes and carrots and some greens. As most products and foods (all together) have raised about 28 percent in price this year worldwide, growing at home stops being a luxury and becomes more and more a necessity for millions and billions worldwide.

Also, after the past few years we don't have to imagine very hard to think about everything including food averaging another 28% or more next year as well. Because we have the twin terrors of Global Climate Change slamming right into (no longer ANY easily retrievable oil from under the ground anywhere). This twin multiple variable equation has Caused both directly and indirectly the explosions of revolutions in the middle east from Tunisia to Yemen to Egypt to Iran. And I think this sort of thing worldwide is just beginning. The best way to say this is a depopulation equation is in action over all the earth. For the richer nations like the U.S. and others this will be very uncomfortable but most people won't starve. However, in about half the nations on earth many Will Starve and so those governments are vulnerable to overthrow and revolution. Many thinkers started predicting this outcome ab out 3 to 5 years ago. Well. Here it is! And it's just getting started worldwide. God Help us All!

No comments: