Saturday, February 12, 2011

Survival Strategies

I had the chance recently to drive from Death Valley National Park by Area 51 on Hiway 95 towards Las Vegas with a side trip up into the Spring Mountains to 8000 feet and 27 degrees where the windshield wiper fluid froze solid in an instant on my front window when I put it on as a joke for my son.

I think what I learned most from that experience is that it is not very comfortable driving by area 51(just driving by) because one knows immediately even just driving by the extreme level of security present on the land and air.

A few years ago when Google Earth first came into public view my son and I were looking at what seemed at the time like hundreds of nuclear test craters (satellite view). We realized then that the government has been doing some interesting things in Nevada since the late 1930s continuously through right now and that is one of the many reasons that the U.S. is still standing today and not just a crater presently (from sea to shining sea).

I started to think about how different it was growing up and how very much more now the average person on the street knows about what the U.S. has been up to all this time.

I started to think about how often bases are built under mountain ranges like the one in Colorado Springs under the Rockies. But I began to think about the Alps, many mountain ranges in Nevada and California and other places in North America and how those places have continued to help create North America being a free area on the earth.

I also realized that I really am not interested in going over near Area 51 anymore (once is enough) and if you drive by there on Hiway 95 you will understand first hand what I'm talking about.

Though, my cousin was telling me that he honeymooned with his wife up hiway 95 from Las Vegas up all the way up into Canada driving his XKE Jaguar around 1970 before his wife made him get rid of it when she got pregnant with their first child. When he described the drive up through Nevada from Las Vegas all the way up into Canada I felt like I really wanted to do a remote drive like that too because it is just so scenic. And even if you have a motorcycle that would be a good ride (temperature wise from about September until it gets too cold until April or  May. (check the weather and temperatures).

It's amazing how many changes there have been on earth since the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis when so many thought we all were going to die any day then. It's always good to have survival strategies in place whether you are a nation, a family or just an individual. Otherwise, none of us would be around very long.

No comments: