Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Las Vegas Strip Mid Week

My son and I had driven most of the day up towards Beatty and then down hiway 95 towards Las Vegas and then past area 51 and all the other military bases and then up into the Spring Mountains to the ski lift. When we reached about 8000 feet it was 27 degrees in full sun. My Crocs (rubber sandals and bare feet didn't like 27 degrees so I put on a ski parka to make up for the heat loss and walked over to the ski lifts to watch the skiers in the sun on the slopes. Then we drove over to Mt. Charleston where we saw many fabulous mountain Chalets for getting out of the Las Vegas Heat in the summer and for winter play in the winters and everything in between. Then we drove down into Las Vegas and onto the strip. I used to take my family to the many rides and attractions there in years past but these have mostly been disassembled now and replaced with other venues so I found this disappointing as I'm not a gambler. However, my son and I were tired so I went to rent a room in one of the famous hotels on the strip. I didn't want to pay more than $500 dollars for the night but was very happy when quoted a mid week price of only about $100. But then there weren't any non-smoking rooms available at that price. But for another hundred ($200 + total we could get an upgrade) so we got a $300 minimum room price for $200. When I got to the room I was very surprised at getting a 1500 Square foot suite with 5 flat screen TV's and a wall to wall view of the Las Vegas Strip and Airport for only $200. I looked on the room chart on the entrance door and it said something like (can be rented for $300 to $10,000 a night). So, we felt very amazed and lucky. I had stayed in several of the nice hotels on the Las Vegas Strip but never in something quite this lavish with 2 large jacuzzi baths(one in each of the baths connected to the bedrooms) with a kitchen, dining room table living room couches etc. It was (for me and my son at least) a once in a lifetime type of experience. Also, we were above the 10th floor and the outer wall was glass from floor to ceiling. It took a little bit of time to get used to one wall of every room but the two bathrooms being all glass. Something to remember.

No comments: