Saturday, February 26, 2011

Useful References

My wife was telling me that I shouldn't use Wikipedia as references in what I write. She said, "The reason for this is that anyone can change anything in wikipedia because of their personal bias at any time. As a result of this my daughter's prep School (college preparatory high school) won't let her use Wikipedia ever as a reference. When I consulted with my daughter who is now 15 she said, "You can't use anything with .com or .net and expect it to be useful as a reference according to my teachers. You can only trust things that are .gov or .edu at the end. Otherwise all the other sites can be changed all the time in all sorts of ways and might not be credible or useful. I found this to be an interesting point of view that is now fostered by higher education in the U.S., especially private schools. So, if I am successful in finding what I'm looking for you might see more .edu and .gov sites that I use as references in the future. This might be helpful to you in your researches for your own articles and blogs as well.

No comments: