Tuesday, February 22, 2011

500 foot snow level for Northern California

My wife woke me up to telling me that there was a 500 foot altitude snow warning for northern California where I live, late Friday and into Saturday. Though on the ocean where we live we never get snow, we often get hail several inches deep which causes the same kinds of problems as snow in car accidents and falls and sprained ankles and broken limbs (both human and tree). So, this is something to take very seriously in Northern California where most people haven't ever driven in snow, don't have 4 wheel drives or all wheel drives and under actual snow conditions might be much better off therefore staying home or taking the bus or train or riding with someone properly trained or equipped for these kinds of conditions.

Also, since most of California is above 1000 feet in altitude, even along the coast are mountains above 1000 feet right next to the ocean. So, even though I live at around 50 to 100 feet elevation I live within 1 mile of the ocean and ride there on my Dualsport motorcycle year around or drive there in my 4 wheel drive SUV and walk along the beach alone or with my dogs or with my older kids when they visit from southern California and Oregon.

I looked at the highs for Saturday and to my surprise they were only in the high 40s which is unusual because the Pacific Ocean almost always keeps the highs even during the winter here at least above 50 degrees Fahrenheit and averages above 60 even in the winter.

No comments: