Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Staying Calm is usually the best

I've watched people freak out about a lot of things during my life and most of it just wasted their emotions and energy and maybe even shortened their lives.

Instead I see it much more useful in staying calm, level headed and rational all the time I can. Of course their are upsetting things that happen all the time, but you can't let yourself get too freaked out.

My friend once said to me, "I don't completely care what is happening around the world because if it isn't happening to me right now why should I worry?"

At the time when he said this it shocked me a little. But, he's right. If our ancestors worried about every little thing all the time none of us would have ever been born and the human race would have gone extinct long long ago.

So, I find staying calm and rational no matter what is going on will lead to a long life and an enjoyable one. Because the decisions you tend to make while calm tend to be 100% better than the decisions we all make when we are completely freaked out.

So, living a long time comes from learning to stay calm enough no matter what happens. However, physical exercise like walking some place beautiful nearby where you live helps a lot with this too, whenever you can. To breathe in fresh air and to walk along the ocean, in a park, in the mountains, in the desert or whatever is available to you helps you to talk with God, nature, Buddha or whatever calms you down enough so you can actually enjoy your life so you still want to be alive.

No comments: