Saturday, October 25, 2014

GPS?

I was driving in our rental car that they gave us while my wife's car was being worked on so this was a new Lexus. I looked for a way to shut off the video screen as I don't like looking at a GPS screen unless I'm using it for some purpose. I saw no way to turn this off. So, I decided for a few minutes (1/2 hour or so) I would tolerate this thing showing exactly where we were located on earth every single second we were driving. It wasn't until we were returning home after going out shopping that I became upset about this. I looked carefully at the screen and saw how there was a route already drawn back to our home on the GPS. I was upset about this. But now, as I looked carefully I saw it laying down a third red dot to represent our third drive to this location. My question would be: "Who is this information being stored for? Is it Lexus? IS it someone else? IS it the government. I feel offended by my personal privacy and my wife's privacy being invaded in this way. I'm okay that I see where we are on the GPS map. But, I'm not okay with them charting where I live, how often I go there with this rental vehicle etc. This isn't okay with me. However, if this were you you wouldn't have any control to stop this either. So, what I'm saying is that the rights I grew up with in the 1950s here in the U.S. of complete privacy as long as I was a law abiding citizen are gone. None of us have this anymore unless, we don't work anywhere on paper, we don't have a cell phone, we don't have a social security number and we live completely off the grid somewhere on earth. All the rights and privacies we had in the 1950s it appears are gone forever. We might as well have embeded chips like people put into Humane society animals so someone could track us in the wilds or even underground.

Privacy as I grew up with is likely gone forever without my permission or yours.

No comments: