Monday, April 22, 2019

Lowering Medicare age to 55?

I think this is a really great idea simply because when I was 64 I was paying 1400 a month for full health care. And most people just cannot afford this. I could but most people could not and so my point of view is that I was fine until my 40s without health care. Everything was fine. I couldn't afford buying healthcare for myself most of the time because I owned businesses and was raising teenagers. Luckily, they had moved into their 20s except for one daughter and then another that was born in my 40s. So when I got full health care insurance around age 45 from then on I could afford it because my kids had already moved out of the house and were going to college on student loans instead of my directly supporting them then. But, if I hadn't had health insurance ongoing by 45 I would now be dead because of a heart virus I got at age 50 that forced me to retire.

So, for most people, they might not need health care at all (like me) until their 40s if they are exercising all the time and eating right like I always have and are relatively happy. The times people actually desperately need health care insurance (most people) is from about age 40 onwards. Why?

Because if you have a catastrophic health issue like I did at age 50 you either might die or lose your home through mortgaging it or going bankrupt trying to stay alive!

Also, I was forced to retire from the heart virus at age 50. There really was no choice then it was either retire or die. So, by then luckily I was in a financial position where I could do this. But, most people might not be at age 50 but I was just luckily to be financially successful enough in a progressive way where I could retire and still keep increasing my income and let my wife run our businesses instead. Since she has 3 degrees including a Master's in Business Administration we have been very successful ever since then. And I being retired could still advise her about the most important things she might need to know since our skill sets are very complimentary. So, in this way I didn't die and we have been successful ongoing and even were able to pay off my sons student loans on the agreement that he finish college and graduate. So, things have gone really well since I almost died for 8 months from fall 1998 to May 1999.

This is why I think Lowering the Medicare age from 65 to 55 is important so so many people don't have to go bankrupt or die because they cannot afford 1400 a month full health care insurance like I had to pay in their lives which is what I had to pay for full health care coverage when I was 64 the year before I could get Medicare at age 65.

No comments: