Saturday, July 13, 2019

Grand Hotel

My wife and I watched the Netflix Telenovella in Spanish originally of "Grand Hotel" with English Subtitles. My wife is conversant in Spanish from courses in College and so is bi-lingual so this was interesting to me. However, for me, I know things like "Comida" and "Trabajo" and "Aqua" and things like this from working around Spanish Speaking people in Southern California but not much more so mostly the subtitles were how I understood what was happening. Then there was another Netflix telanovella called "High Seas" which I also watched the first season of in Spanish with English Subtitles.

The first "Grand Hotel" was set in a Hotel at the seashore in Spain somewhere around 1910 maybe before World War I?

The 2nd Grand hotel is set in Miami in present day at a Hotel with people who are Hispanic or specifically Cuban who own the hotel. Here are some of the differences in the new "Grand Hotel". The mother who runs the Hotel is dead. The father is still alive in this one (at least in the pilot). The stepmother has her own children and Alicia just came back from college and her brother (an alcoholic) who has lost a leg in Afghanistan? in the war maybe is still desirable to the ladies who he beds a new one almost every day who is staying at the hotel. So, I guess he is a hot amputee. There is also a Latin Singer in this one too. So, they have kind of jazzed it up some this time too. Danny is the boy whose sister was murdered who works at the hotel who wants to off or get justice for his sisters death and she worked at the hotel like in the first "Grand Hotel" on Netflix.

Note: Comida means "Lunch or to eat I think" and "Trabajo"  means work and "Aqua" means water "usually to drink". Comida, Trabajo and aqua being Spanish. Also, Trabajo is pronounced TRa Ba Ho which is how you often pronounce a j in Spanish. Like La Jolla is pronounced "La Hoya" so the j is h sound and the Ls are a y sound.

However, there is Castillian Spanish which has more of a lisping sound and then there is Mexican Spanish and all the other accents of South America and Cuba. So, each region has it's own particular accents just like English accents can be British or American or Australian or New Zealand or India or various accents within America too. For example there are north Eastern American Accents and Southern Accents and regional accents of various kinds and then there are various Canadian Accents as well. I can remember not being able to understand what someone was saying to me in Banff because they had a very northern Canadian Accent and slang which didn't make sense to me. It turned out they were trying to tell me there was no toilet paper in the bathroom I discovered later.

No comments: