Saturday, June 27, 2020

Like many of you I was raised to be a problem solver by my parents and others growing up

So, I learned to solve whatever problems were before me in my life whether I liked being in this position or not. I learned to be stoic and solve problems even if they were life threatening and to remain calm doing this in most situations I encountered.

My youngest daughter wasn't born until I was in my late 40s so now I'm 72 she is 24 years old. Her point of view is that speaking about coronavirus isn't useful mostly. To me, that is living in denial of what we are actually dealing with worldwide. But, it is her right to have a different point of view than I have because I raised her to be an empowered woman and not just someone when you say, "Jump!" there only response is "How high!" which is a slave response and not the response of an empowered person who has been to college and been trained to always be a leader in their life.

So, today she was telling me I shouldn't be writing about coronavirus or speaking about it because it just makes people depressed.

I told her she didn't understand what I was trying to do which is to save lives all over the world.

If there is ANYTHING I learned in college it is that the single MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is to define the problems you encounter in life. If you properly define a problem someone (anyone of the 8 billion of us) can then solve this problem. So, by defining the problem you help create solutions to those problems (potentially).

I couldn't fully get her to understand this because she got all caught up in how I wasn't seeing it her way. I said it's okay for her to have her way of seeing things but that doesn't mean I will always agree with her. I'm fine with her having any point of view she wants to but that doesn't mean I also agree with her point of view all the time either.

Most of the differences are generational I believe because I'm almost 50 years older than her and trained by the Great Depression and World War II generation. Both my parents graduated High School during the Great Depression, my father in 1934 as valedictorian of his high school Class in Seattle, and my mother graduated from High school in 1936 also in Seattle Washington.

So, the conditioning I received both good and bad and in between was in a completely different set of problems than people are facing now.

For example, she didn't witness the Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy brothers getting assassinated, Martin Luther King Being assassinated, the Viet Nam War, Nixon resigning office or anything else and she was only about 6 years old when 9-11 happened so I'm not even sure she fully understood that either. So, the world I grew up in was completely different than this one.

But, all the suffering and stoicism I was taught as a carry over from the Great Depression and World War II also will get me through the coronavirus too and all those who are like me might survive this all too.

So, what I'm doing here at this blog more than anything else is trying to define the problems we all face so that some of you around the world can actually solve these problems so we all don't just go extinct one day because we did something incredibly stupid that caused the end of all life on earth.

No comments: