Monday, December 6, 2021

In 1958 at age 10 I had a Newspaper route with bags of newspapers on my bicycle handlebars. The weight was dangerous

 


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Rare Vintage Photos of What Life Was Like in the ’50s

ADVERTISEMENT

Kids Spent a Lot of Time on Their Bicycles and on Paper Routes

In the 1950s, it was common to see kids playing outside. This photo shows several children in Fairfax, Delaware, riding around the neighborhood on their bicycles. One of the most coveted bikes between 1949 and 1960 was the Schwinn Black Phantom. These bikes featured a leather saddle, fender lights, brake light, and luggage rack.

ADVERTISEMENT
Bettmann/Contributor Getty Images

While some kids rode their bicycles on their paper routes, the Phantom, a.k.a. “the swellest-looking bike in town,” was reserved for sunny days or impressing other kids. These days, kids don’t spend as much time outdoors. The proliferation of technology and video games keeps many of them inside.

end quote from:

https://www.tacorelish.com/rare-vintage-photos-of-what-life-was-like-in-the-50s/7/?D3c=1

The weight of the papers was dangerous because I had motorcycle risers on my handlebars so I could ride while peddling standing up. So, if I moved too fast in turning the weight shift would crash the bike. So, unless I moved in turns very slowly I would crash. But, it's just something we did then. And since I was always very coordinated I could do this without dying. I also liked to ride my bike standing on the rear seat doing tricks and with no hands. But, you couldn't do this while delivering papers unless you wanted to crash and die.

No comments: