Saturday, July 30, 2022

Writing can be healing

 Recently, an old girlfriend of when I was 16 years old passed away. I was 16 then and she was 21 and a member of my church. She was very surprised at the time to be 21 and to get involved with me at 16 but I was very grown up in some ways already simply because of health issues I had already survived between 2 and 15. I had had whooping cough and 2 and almost died and my best friend that I gave my newspaper delivery route to when I was 10 years old had had polio. So, we both tended to be much more grown up than most people our ages. Then at age 10 I fell rock climbing and hit my head and got a concussion and had night time seizures for about 5 years time until my skull grew enough to relieve the pressure on my brain.

So, at 16 I had already worked and bought my own car a 1956 Ford Station wagon that I called "My Surf Wagon" because I was a surfer then and used to drive down Los Angeles Freeways with over 10 foot Long Boards they call them now that we surfed on then in the 1960s. I had a 10 foot 4 inch Hobie surfboard at the time.

So, when we went out for a movie we wound up going to a drive in movie to see a really awful movie called "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" by Betty Davis which was scary and this 21 year old girl was scared and held onto me in her fear. We went together for 6 months to a year and were very good friends too. We shared a similar philosophy of life then which is a very important thing at that age to do between friends.

However, eventually I moved on to another girlfriend eventually because I was too young to know what to do full time with a 21 year old girlfriend because by 21 girls often got serious and I wasn't ready for that at 16 or 17.

So now, she was married for maybe 40 years or more of her life to someone else and a mutual friend told me that she was gone. At first it was a shock to me because she was an important part of my life that I wasn't ready to say goodbye to. I had always thought I would see her again and catch up as long time friends but only saw her once on church grounds around 1994 or 1995 and that was it.

So, letting go of my memories of her now that she is gone I find it unbearably hard.

She came to me after she passed on and caught up with me on the other side and I felt comforted by this because she and I in some ways were always going to be okay because of our deep friendship way back when and this was still true even with her on the other side.

So, writing about this it helps me to let those memories go some so I can move on in my own life and she can move on as the angel she always was.

By God's Grace

No comments: