Friday, October 11, 2024

The longest period I traveled for with my family was from December 1985 until April 1986

It was an amazing experience that changed my wife and our 3 children and after that they all became world travelers. The kids were 10 to 14 years of age (2 boys and a girl) and we traveled to Japan, Thailand, Nepal and India (in that order) and then flew back eventually from Nepal in April through Bangkok, Thailand back to San Francisco once again. Since we had already home schooled our kids 5 years until the oldest was 12 it wasn't that hard for us to do this. However, looking back on it it does seem kind of crazy to me now. My wife then and I were both 37 years old and we owned two businesses then and we were able to get my wife's sister to keep our business going while we were away 4 months. Also, I had a job on top of our business working as a Fire Lookout for the State of California from May through October. So, I worked there May through October and traveled from December through April with my family and came back in time to work at the Fire Lookout again that summer of 1986. So, somehow it all worked out for us. The fire lookout job was mostly because of the Great Health insurance I got from the State of California for all 5 of us during the two years I chose to work there, 1985 and 1986.

I had always wanted to go to India because I was interested in Tibetan Buddhism along with a College friend. Actually when we went to Thailand and Nepal he was upset with me for going there first. He was playing music in Switzerland at the time and eventually flew over and met us in Kathmandu, Nepal from Switzerland. So, he met us after we were coming back from India for 2 months going to the Kalachakra Intiation in Bodhgaya where Buddha was born with the Dalai Lama and 500,000 other people there. Then we traveled by train to Varanasi, and then to the Taj Mahal and then to New Delhi and finally by Train and Bus to Dharamshala where the Dalai Lama lived then with around 10,000 Tibetan Buddhists mostly from Tibet at that time. Eventually we went back to New Delhi and took a Bus through Pokhara, Nepal back to Kathmandu to fly back to Bangkok and Narito Airport in Japan on our way home to San Francisco, California in April of 1986. 

Oh, after we met my friend from College in Kathmandu we also all went by Bus to Royal Chitwan National Park and got chased by Rhinos and saw Gar which are thin mouthed crocodiles and saw Tigers and things like this while there. Also, I think a Comet was visible in the sky then too from Chitwan on the Terai of Nepal right next to India then.

No comments: