Saturday, September 19, 2026

Geshe Lobsang Gyatso was born in Kham Province of Tibet

 His father was a salt merchant who hauled salt in bags on Yaks into China I believe and sold them there to earn a living. My wife and older children and I first met Geshela as we called him in Santa Cruz, California. Geshe means literally "Spiritual Friend" and that's what he actually was to us. I could tell you many stories about him of meeting him at the Kalachakra initiation for 500,000 people in Bodhgaya, India in December of 1985 but maybe the most important thing I can say about him was that he was a good spiritual Friend. He came over to help Lama Yeshe of Boulder Creek (above Santa Cruz up in the mountains there) and to help him reincarnate as Lama Oso. I met Lama Oso as a 3 year old child from Spain when I came back from India and Nepal in spring of 1986 or summer. We went to the dedication of Lama Yeshe's Stupa which contained some or all of his ashes then. This likely still exists in Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz Mountains because these are usually made out of something like cement and rock usually. You see them all over the Himalayas with Lama Relics inside from the last 1000 years or more. I saw them when I went trekking in the Himalayas into the Helambu region near Kathmandu near the Tibet- China Border then in I believe March of 1986 just before the monsoons started and then we flew back to San Francisco after being over there in India, Nepal, Thailand and Japan from December 11th 1985 to I think April of 1986

No comments: