Saturday, October 9, 2010

Golden Geckos

My wife and I had been staying on the Lahaina side of the island of Maui. I had asked a lady who works across from the huge Banyan tree there whether there were any geckos on the dry side of the island. I had already lived with geckos in Paia and Hana on the wetter side of Maui in 1989 and 1990, so I knew they lived there. She said, "Oh yes! There are gold geckos and green geckos here too." So I waited to see my first gecko on this side of the island after that. I wasn't sure whether I would see any or not.

I didn't have long to wait. A night or two later my wife shrieked, "There's a lizard. I knew immediately from the way the thing was running with suction cup toes that it was one of the fastest moving geckos I had ever seen. I guess I had only seen green geckos and usually they lived on our screens eating bugs with their long tongues. If they couldn't get bugs out of the air or wall sometimes they just died there on the screen like that and just dried up that way. Geckos are very strange and weird but they really seem to love being on a calm caring human hand.

So, I felt the sort of dragon magical energy in the moment. However, my wife and daughter seemed sort of hysterical like they get with large spiders and such. So I found myself kind of amped up because of this and was afraid I might accidentally hurt the little golden gecko guy. So when he ran behind the refrigerator to get away from me I was really worried moving the refrigerator might kill him. But something inside me knew that my wife and maybe my daughter needed to connect to the whole gecko thing. They had never met one before. They are very special creatures. Even though they look like lizards they are as different in personality from a lizard as a dog or a cat is different from a lizard. Geckos really have personality and are very magical and amazing as creatures go.

So when I got the golden gecko out from under the refrigerator he seemed really freaked so I asked my wife to grab and hold him as no animal is afraid of her. So when he got onto her hand he loved her and wanted to stay there. She really thought he was precious with his little suction cup toes and big amazing eyes and golden body and all. She let him loose and he ran into our closet. I guess I had only seen green geckos before.

Later, when we went to the old fashioned Lahaina Luau (which I think is one of the best on Maui) we went to a friend's condo afterwords where there are sea turtles outside in the ocean we saw during the day.

The friend had a glass of wine and then my wife saw a shooting star and was very impressed by it. Then we all heard a little shriek and I said, "I think there are some mating geckos here." And sure enough there were two little geckos on the outside wall about 10 feet from us doing their little dance.

Then later that same night we saw more golden geckos. One on a railing and then another one in our room. I felt very blessed by all the geckos because I hadn't experienced a golden gecko before. They are really magical sort of like little miniature dragons.

No comments: