Friday, October 22, 2010

Down and Out in Beverly Hills

I felt today was a good day to watch a DVD of this movie. I had rented it from Netflix and still had it after I had returned some others. So, I put it in the DVD player just now. But then I got it to write about the cultural context that is so relevant to us all worldwide in these times.

In this movie are two very intelligent men, both unhappy with their lives for different reasons, one very rich and one completely poor and living on the streets. Though this movie one gets to see (up close and personal) the types of problems both the rich and poor have ( and they are like two sides of the same coin). So even as I in my life started to become more well off I tried to continue my more middle class values because only in the middle class do I find much sanity and balance. So I brought my middle class "waste not want not" values to the next level. In this way, I still feel sane living a wealthier life whereas I wouldn't if I had just thrown in the towel and gone wild. Modesty, discipline, kindness, generosity, helpfulness never go out of style if you are a good person in any class. If you watch the movie it has many things to teach us. It Stars Nick Nolte, as the down and out guy, Richard Dreyfuss, as the rich Beverly Hills businessman, and Bette Midler as his wife. This movie really says it all about rich and poor and the two sides of the same coin that they really are in regard to their problems.

No comments: