Sunday, April 23, 2017

Why are so many stores closing now? Overhead

The real reason for those of you who might have never owned your own business before is: overhead.

Overhead: if you haven't understood this term before just means what your business expenses are at any given location. So, you don't make any profit (which is the reason you are in business in the first place) unless you make more money than your rent, stock and the money you pay your employees with. And if this happens you either close your store or go bankrupt and often both.

Here's the deal. Online businesses like Amazon which is likely the biggest in the U.S. now don't have to rent stores, don't have to stock stores, don't have to hire sales people. All they have to do is to put their things online for you to buy and to ship them to you from literally anywhere on earth.

This might be 50% or more cheaper than any store can sell you the same thing.

So, this has been coming for a long time now to the point where likely almost no stores will exist (big box or small box stores) unless they aren't run for making a profit like stores that are a public service run often by non-profit groups or non-profit sections of large corporations.

So, this likely is the future with most big stores gone forever. I'm hoping that movie theaters still exist without these big box stores because this is something I like to do a lot is to go to movies. My wife like this but also likes to go to restaurants.

For example, all the new bookstores that Borders put out of business before Borders went out of business in our area too upsets my wife because she is quite a reader and doesn't like things like Kindles and prefers paperback books to read.

There likely are a lot of you out there. But then there's my cousin and his wife who each have hundreds of books on their kindle and smartphone too. So, there are many different types of people. So, though my wife can use a computer she is not a technophile like i tend to be. I tend to be interested in each and every new technical device made or any new invention. This doesn't mean I approve of everything I see because at least half of what I see I find dangerous to mankind in one or many ways. So, I'm very concerned for low tech people who don't have the background that I do that will be incredibly harmed in their lives by their ignorance of what technology is already doing to them and their lives.

No comments: