Friday, May 30, 2008

Have your own moment

I was walking through the living room and happened to see my wife's Oprah magazine lying there. A cover article called, "Have your own moment etc" was on the cover. I thought about this but had to rescue a mourning dove caught in the outer alcove of our house. There is a window above our front alcove facing the street and sometimes birds can't go down to go out and just bang themselves against the window rather than going down about 3 feet to where there is a 9 foot high by 10 foot wide way out. The mourning dove reminded me of the many people I saw recently in a very homeless area I had to drive through on business. The contrast between the mourning dove that just couldn't go down 3 feet to save herself instead of forever banging her head on the glass trying to get out reminded me a lot of many people down and out.

If there is one secret to life that I have found it is kindness. Not idiot kindness but well thought out kindness that doesn't cost one their life or their life savings. I am always looking for an opportunity to help people, to help the life around me in a useful and safe way. This quality in me, I believe, is why God has always taken such good care of me.

If I were to say what my secrets to a good life are it would be a constant wise and kind attitude toward all beings and the total efficiency that I was taught by my Swiss German relatives. This led to me always looking for efficient ways to be kind as well as efficient ways to make money and to get ahead. People and beings always came first with me and money always came second. So I have always had my priorities straight in this way.

Wealth of all kinds(spiritual and monetary) comes from kindness toward other beings. All other kinds of wealth are but temporary and will bring suffering eventually if not based upon kindness toward oneself and others. This appears to be a law of life no matter your philosophy or religion. This last law seems to affect all beings in the universe. This has been my personal experience throughout my life and many other people have told me this is their experience as well.

So "Have your own moment". Have your own Oceanic experiences with God and the infinite Universe, beyond time and space. These kinds of moments bring us in as lovers of both the universe and of God, depending upon our natures.

No comments: