Wednesday, May 28, 2008

US child obesity 'hits plateau'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7423981.stm

The above internet article from BBC says that Child US Obesity rate has stabilized at 16%.

It is my experience, however, that Obesity has to do more with the eating of Fast Foods from Fast Food Restaurants since the food there has always tended to be low food value and high fat content. Also, high Fructose syrups in drinks are very fattening so one should look to see what one is drinking before consuming it. Also, as fast foods became more popular after the 1950s, fast food like food started showing up in the frozen foods section first as dinners and then as dinner entres.

Though fast food restaurants in general have upped their food quality since the 1950s and lowered their fat content in general, still fast food is relatively unhealthy but still better to eat than starving. If I'm traveling somewhere in a car I often do a drive through at a fast foods restaurant just to get where I'm going as soon as possible so I don't have to rent more rooms than necessary along the way. However, if I can find it I prefer a Subway Sandwich shop where I can eat a little more healthy.

My father was very into health and into being a vegetarian and health foods and organic foods. So I was exposed to very healthy foods growing up. My response was to go to small markets on the way home from school and buy gum, pop and chips and candy and to consume it on the way home on my bike so I didn't get yelled at for eating it when I was home.

As an adult most of my girlfriends and my first and second wife were very into organic foods and even growing organically if we had a big enough backyard or were renting enough land to grow organically. My third wife was less into this but we still buy as much organically as possible.

However, if you are having trouble making ends meet but still want to buy organic I will share with you the most important things to buy organic.
1. Milk should only be bought organic, especially if you have any children below 21 in age because asthmatic conditions and other health problems result from non-organic milk (because of the additives given cows in their food and drugs) and could cost you thousands of dollars in health costs for the lifetime of your child.
2. apples, carrots and potatoes should only be bought organic because they all take the spray into the meat of the apple, carrot or potato. This means you are eating the insecticides and herbicides in your food and your child's food. Though it may not kill you or cause you cancer or other health problems all this builds up in your bodies tissues and tends not to be eliminated and reduces your lifetime and your children's lifetimes.

3. Salad makings are better organic because it is very difficult to wash off the spray from lettuce, for example, without destroying what you want to eat if it is sprayed and most of the time you eat the spray rather than destroy the lettuce.

The above types of foods are the most important to buy only organic.

However, if you can afford it also buy organic wheat, or rye or sourdough or potato breads and organic chips. Also, if you can afford it buy organic canned food and organic rice and flour and organic peanut butter.

If you have the money buy or grow organic only and live that way as much as possible. I did, throughout my 20s and 30s and growing up years.

When I got a heart virus at age 49 and I had an angiogram the doctors said they were jealous because I had the cleanest arteries and veins they had ever seen from growing up vegetarian(lacto ovo) "milk and eggs" and veggies. I'm still about 95% or more vegetarian. However, over age 50 it is hard to get enough balance in your diet and staying 100% vegetarian becomes more problematic as one ages if one also wants to be healthy.

No comments: