Sunday, July 3, 2011

Human radio

The last blog I wrote "Hearing everyone's thoughts" reminded me of another strange and funny experience. My father traded work with a dentist in our church. He did electrical work at his home for dental work on me, my mother and my father. Over the years since I had English-Scottish teeth since I am half Scottish (My mothers parents both grew up in Scotland mostly) so my enamel on my teeth wasn't the best. However, I never had to wear braces except for one tooth a molar and that was only for a few months because my teeth were always very straight and true. As a result of many many fillings of silver, gold and platinum in my teeth since about age 6 or so and because in Glendale High School because my saliva was just the right amount of acidity I often heard one local AM station on the radio during my junior year if I held my jaw in the right position during school. Dentists say this can happen sometimes because of having multiple metals and it works through bone conduction because your mouth becomes like an early Crystal Radio set. But it only worked on some occasions and only if my head was in the right direction and my jaw was set in a specific position. But the problem is if I was talking or chewing food it would sound really awful as it went in and out of radio frequency.

No comments: