Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Does Time Exist?

I was watching a program called, "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" and this particular show is called, "Does Time Exist?"

One gentleman's experience that is that each moment is alive sort of like a picture or snapshot and cannot be destroyed and that it is sort of like we are looking at these snapshots as they pass by but that they don't stop existing just because we pass by them.

I think this might be a useful point of view. They were also saying that the human mind integrates sounds and pictures that arrive in the brain at different speeds. Also, he was saying that it has been calibrated that babies and young people experience time at a different speed than old people do. For example, time speeds up as you grow older. I have had this experience as well.

Can you remember just how slow time moved when you were little? When I was 5 everything took forever and forever to both come and to be over. Sometimes this was good if I was with people I really wanted to see or if I was watching a TV program that I really loved like Disneyland or something like that. But, for me, the 1950s were incredibly boring because I was 2 to 12 years old then. But then time started speeding up through my teens and life got both more interesting and more scary every day. Then I was 20 and time moved really fast and life was confusing in a whole new way. I was 30 before I really started to enjoy my life and my wife and my kids and sort of settle into it. But then they all grew up and became teenagers and everything changed again. Now my oldest son is 37 and I'm 64, and time is moving very fast indeed.

So, if you were to ask me as an intuitive does time exist? I would have to tell you "No. It doesn't exist." But then I would have to say, "But I pretend it exists because human bodies tend to die if you don't believe in time. So, even if one knows for sure that time doesn't exist, still most of the time they have to at the very least pretend to believe that time exists so their body doesn't die. And the same thing is true of space. (Space being the physical universe which includes earth).

Then what is the usefulness of knowing that time and space doesn't exist if experiencing that it doesn't exist only causes one's death?

Answer: You cannot become fully enlightened if you haven't experienced that time and space are ultimately not permanently real. And in some senses they are not even temporarily real. However, if you want to live in a physical body in which you raise families, work at jobs, write books, eat to live, Breathe air etc. you must at the very least pretend to yourself and for everyone else that time and space are real or else your physical body might die and your inner ear will experience nausea and vertigo ongoing until you convince yourself enough that time and space are real enough to go on living in a body on earth.

To become fully enlightened you have to experience that time and space are not ultimately real but having done that you must then pretend they are real or you will physically die in most cases.

No comments: