Thursday, July 23, 2015

Having enough compassion for yourself to survive anything

This trait seems to be one of my family's traits and likely one of yours too. Most families tend to have this trait or else they wouldn't still be alive today. I once had a sort of funny conversation with my ex-wife's sister who was a psychologist. I said, "Well. There are only two kinds of people, people who survive everything in their lives and people that don't."

She looked at me and then said, "Then, it seems to me Fred there is only one kind of person here on earth." I looked at her a little surprised and smiled and said, "Yes. You're right".

And I think having enough compassion for yourself that you can survive everything that comes is what keeps families from all killing themselves or self destructing when too many of them die for one reason or another or at one time.

Because compassion for yourself isn't just for yourself, it is for all your friends and relatives that need you stay alive too.

Just remember compassion is always interconnected to all beings in this sense. It's part of what keeps us all alive and able to keep going through everything and anything.

No comments: