Thursday, March 8, 2018

It was raining starting last night in Mt. Shasta

This has by this morning melted almost all snow in the city of Mt. Shasta so likely locals are somewhat happy about this until they get black ice everywhere when it goes below freezing here once again sometime in the next few days. The last time I was up here I almost fell just trying to get something from my truck on the black ice at the hotel here.

So, I'm not sure how high it is snowing because this is a "Pineapple Express" storm from the general area of Hawaii which are always warmer tropical storms than the ones from the north which tend to bring the most snow. Snow also happens from "Pineapple Express Storms" but usually just a few thousand feet higher this time of year than the northern storms that come down from Alaska, Canada and the North Pole.

I'm thinking of driving up the mountain to see the snow coming down because it likely is snowing somewhere between 4000 and 6000 feet just not in town. At almost 10:30 Thursday morning it is 39 degrees so the clouds and rain might bring the temperatures down more or not in town. They say the low today in town is 38 and 33 tomorrow Friday. So, I might drive up into the snow at some point just to see it coming down because I haven't seen that this week yet. I also have my mountaineering skis so if it felt right I might go out on them if the blizzard wasn't too extreme at Bunny Flat.

They are probably not to happy about all this at the Mt. Shasta Ski Park because it is presently raining up there. But, likely there will be a few diehards "especially snowboarders" out in the rain boarding down the mountains there in the snow. The temperature right now is 40 degrees which isn't really good news that rain is coming down onto the snow there.

Also, if it is only 40 degrees at the Ski park then it might not be snowing anywhere I can presently drive on the mountain that is paved either.

No comments: