Sunday, April 26, 2020

Learn to recognize landmarks

If you are walking around the area where you live you memorize landmarks when you are walking or driving (unless you are ONLY a GPS person). My younger daughter only navigates by GPS but my older children who lived more in the wilds in their lives like I did are okay with landmarks too. I think being able to do both is helpful no matter who you are. But, I guess you need a good sense of direction to be able to successfully use landmarks for navigation whether walking or driving somewhere.

Everyone is different in this because of how they use their senses and this should also be respected in everyone. But, I was raised by a father and a grandfather who were very comfortable in the out of doors. At one point my grandfather when his kids were young spent a winter trapping in the sawtooth mountains for one winter by himself likely around 1912 to 1920 around there. So, he really liked his solitude a lot. But, most of the time he was an electrical contractor throughout the western states until he bought 2 1/2 acres of land and a home in Lake Forest Park in 1927 near Seattle Washington.

When you go to a new area you begin by memorizing landmarks starting from your hotel or place you are visiting. In this way you familiarize yourself with where you are and where you want to get to like restaurants and hotels and interesting sights to visit. I use this skill wherever I am on the earth to familiarize myself with wherever I am on earth at the time.

For me, this is a fun thing to do to broaden my horizons in exploring new places which also opens your mind up to new possibilities always as well. There is a certain adventure to do this and a certain amount of potential danger always in this but usually if you are careful everything can turn out okay.

But, it is important to be aware of where you are and whether an area is safe to be in especially in big cities or walking around where big animals like bears and elk and moose or Tigers or rhinos or hippopotamus' live. So, always be aware if you are in danger so you have to study enough about wherever you are. Studying the weather where you are is important as well. The more you know about any given area and what happens in regard to the weather likely where you are and what people and animals are like different times of the year the safer you and your group will be wherever you are on earth.

No comments: