Sunday, March 27, 2022

Be careful that the dog you buy isn't too much dog for you

Our blue merle corgi is perfect for my wife and I at this stage of our lives. My wife is 66 and I'm going to be 74 soon. 

3 years ago we tried to train a Shutzhund whose grandfather was a grand champion Shutzhund (German Shepard). However, he was definitely too much dog for my wife as he was an Alpha's Alpha's Alpha. In other words literally a young POLICE DOG which was too much dog for my wife. He was very loving and wonderful but we started getting scratches all over our arms and hands from him and didn't really know how to train him. Finally, one day he got my wife by the neck with his mouth and teeth (no blood) and I realized this wasn't going to work for us at this age, especially because my wife was the trainer because I didn't sign up for that. For me, the moment I realized he wasn't going to work was getting my wife by the neck but before that he chewed a bandaid off my hand covering a bloody scratch he had created. Then he choked on the bandaid and I had to get my wife to reach down his throat before he choked on the bandaid while I held him.

You have to be a trained Dog Trainer to handle a dog this intense and alpha so the dog is useful to you and to everyone else and obedient when the dog is a champion Shutzhund breed that is trained to jump over cars and apprehend criminals in a natural course of their training.

So, before you take on a champion line German Shepard you need to think about your stage in life and what you have the skill and training to handle and what you can handle at that point in your life. 

Otherwise, the dog will become a danger both to you and to everyone around you and will become a liability to everyone if it isn't properly trained. 

Also this dog as an adult is likely at least 125 pounds or more and very strong. So, we made sure that someone trained to train a dog like this one took over after we realized this dog was too much for us.

About a year later we got our blue merle Corgi and this dog we could handle and became a part of our family.

The problem with the German Shepard was not love it was that this dog was just too strong willed and intelligent for us to know how to train a dog this intense so we were becoming a victim of the dog which you don't want to happen regarding any breed of dog you own. A dog can be loving but also dangerous for you to have around and dogs like German Shepards if they aren't well trained they are a danger to you and to your children and everyone around you because they are perfectly capable of making their own decisions about anything in their lives if they aren't properly trained to be obedient to you during emergencies. 

No comments: