Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Why Write?

 It doesn't matter whether you ever plan to publish online or even in a printed book somewhere.

Writing "for me at least" is a way to come to peace with your life.

It's sort of like saying: "Well. This happened and this happened and how do I feel about all that?"

And then you answer this question: (hopefully) and then you come to some sort of agreement with yourself about all the diverse things that happened in your life.

Along the way you might also say: "OH! I can't believe I actually did that or actually survived that!"

This is something that happened to me a lot especially when I was under 25 or 26 because I was an extreme risk taker compared to many people.

But, I think the most dangerous things I have done were not rock climbing with a thousand or more feet of exposure or riding motorcycles across the desert at 50 to 70 miles per hour down dry washes or racing cars (or motorcycles when I was young but actually some of the girls I dated between 21 and 25 years old.

That's where the real danger actually was from my present point of view.

Because it is amazing how crazy some of the women you will date even though extremely beautiful when you are young and horny and all that.

Testosterone kills many young men I feel because of this stage of life from about 21 to 25 for me. But, I suppose for many it started much younger and could have been fatal for many.

"Hell hath no fury" and all that!

It's not that I intended any harm to anyone but let's just say that unrealistic expectations are not just limited to young men. They also happen a lot to young women too. I always meant well but then again there is this testosterone thing going on too.

I remember at age 26 holding my new born son in my arms and thinking:"So, this is what all that craziness was about!"

Also, becoming a father stopped most of my young foolishness at age 26 when my son was born.

For example, I stopped rock climbing with pitons or free climbing after that because I felt my son deserved an alive father.

So, why Write?

To make peace with yourself and all the crazy things you did during your life.

This was very very very important to me, for example, because staying alive was a hard thing to do for me between about 1969 to 1973 when I was 21 to 25 years old.


No comments: