Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Discovering the Kindness of Compassion

I was raised a mystical Christian. I first started to see how many Christians in the U.S. are racist but don't understand this about themselves. This bothered me a lot in my 20s especially. I started to see people who were devoutly Christian as often using their words in various ways to destroy people's lives of other races than white. This bothered me a lot.

I started to see people like this as saying how wonderful they were but really were destroying the lives of other races around them.

I began to see this everywhere and it bothered me a lot.

How could Christians be the basis of racism in the U.S.?

I began to see it was because many Christians never have a friend of another race their whole lives, especially in the midwest of the U.S. where Christians are the most ethnocentric where people seldom travel to another state and definitely not to any other country.

I wondered how I could not get caught by thinking like this?

Part of my solution was to study Native American Shamanism and Tibetan Buddhism to break out of racist thinking that I had been taught as a mystical Christian Growing up.

I think I was fairly successful at this along the way including doing a native American Vision quest and Going to India and Nepal and staying there studying Tibetan Buddhism for about 4 months from December of 1985 until April of 1986.

It sort of made my whole family citizens of the world to do this. And to some degree we saw the whole world differently after doing this ever after.

Every country thinks their country is the best on earth. It's just what people do.

However, if we are citizens of the whole world we stop being so ethnocentric and as racist as people can be who have never met people from another country or race.

So, part of discovering kindness and compassion is meeting people from all over the world and speaking with them about what they think is important in life.

You likely will be surprised with what you learn from them not only about them but also about yourselves too.

By God's Grace 

No comments: