Monday, November 30, 2009

OF 100 ft. electrical power cords

I noticed the red light flashing on a nearby transformer on a telephone and power pole nearby. So today they shut down the power to my area for about 6 hours during the day. The only real problem with this is that if I don't turn on the gas powered electrical generator in my motor home and run a 100 foot electrical power cord to my refrigerator we tend to lose everything in our freezer at least. The last time the power was out from trees falling on power lines for a few days within the last month from a bad storm I ran my generator only about one hour out of four to try to be nice to neighbors who might not want to listen to it. Even though we kept everything in the refrigerator we still had to throw out things in the Freezer. So this time since we know the power is only going to be off about 6 hours(we hope) I will run the generator from 9 am until 2 to 3 pm when they turn it back on. Luckily, it is a sunny day but chilly. But with the sun my home solar heats nicely so that isn't a problem. Even if the sun gets obscured by fog or clouds I still have a fireplace with plenty of wood so that isn't a problem either. So, just running a generator can save you about 200 to 400 dollars or more of spoiled food just in a day or two. So, it is almost worth renting one or even buying one if you tend to have one or more power outages a year where you live.

Another thing about 100 foot long electrical power cords. I have found they can be very useful around the house for running weed eaters, leaf blowers and the like. I have basically stopped using gasoline powered tools like weed eaters and leaf blowers because they just are too messy and besides there is much less(usually zero) maintenance on electrical tools. Usually you either run them or they burn out and you go buy another. It's much less fuss. However, if you are in the business of using powered tools then gasoline is better because you never know if you can plug in or how far you are going to be from an outlet. electrical power is only better if it is your own home or property and you can control all the variables.

Another trick I use since I'm having some trouble with my right foot is I've stopped wearing boots when I use a weed eater. Instead I have duct taped an 8 foot section of 1/2 wide pvc pipe to the weed eater handle so I can get the weed eating part further away from my leg and foot so I don't lose a toe or injure my leg. I use the extra length of the 8 foot pvc pole to counter balance the weed eater so I can keep it about 5 to 7 feet away from my foot and leg and just wear crocs sandals while weed eating safely.(note: if you have 3/4 inch or 1 inch pvc it would be heavier but it might not bend as much as my 1/2 inch 8 foot section does. However, you can make your weed eater bob up and down with 1/2 inch and sometimes this is useful doing certain chores. However, if you are edging you have to get a little closer than doing other things to get the lawn edging to look right and not mess it up.

However, unless you have good hand eye co-ordination and are sort of a natural inventor and tool maker like me and my father and grandfather please be careful because not everyone is safe using power tools, especially highly modified ones.

By the way, I just noticed that I can also run my 52 inch flatscreen and dvr with cable with my refrigerator. Or with my refrigerator I could run one or more computers with a cable modem and wireless transmitter from my RV electrical generator. The engine guns a little whenever the refrigerator kicks on but other than that everything works fine as long as your cable modem wires haven't been damaged by trees or flooding. If it is only your electrical 110 and 220 that is down everything should work with cable tv, cable computers modems, computers and the like.

One caveat. Make sure you unplug from the wall whatever you are using before you plug it into you 100 foot electrical cable from the RV generator or other generator. Otherwise there will be fireworks when the 110 and 220 come on from the street and main panel. What I'm saying is you must have a completely separate line from your RV to whatever you are powering from the generator.

No comments: