Monday, November 9, 2009

Tulku November 9th 2009

Since at least in this lifetime I wasn't raised or educated as a child or young adult in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition I must profess a certain degree of ignorance on this topic. I can only share my many experiences with Lamas, Monks and Nuns(Ani's pronounced Ah nee with emphasis on Ah which are what Tibetan Buddhist Nuns are called) and Tibetan Buddhists Starting during the 1980s in California, Oregon, India and Nepal. At one point my wife and I sponsored a Geshe Lama(spiritual friend) to the U.S. and helped him obtain a green card which is the same classification Catholic Priests use to come the the United States on their green cards. However, this was during the 1980s so it is possible a lot has changed since then.

My first experience and so first questions in this lifetime about what Tulku was came from reading Mipham by Lama Yongden. It spoke about Mipham or Mipam and how he didn't know he was a tulku yet (many don't know they are Tulkus until they reach their 40th birthday). Mipam had many trials and tribulations until he realized he was a tulku and was accepted as the leader of his monastery after he discovered who he was. However, since China has driven out most real Tibetan Buddhism out of Tibet(at least out in the open) many tulkus are choosing to incarnate all over the world. So the likelihood of them finding their lineage still being intact is unlikely. So a new way forward has to be found.

My understanding of what a Tulku is that he or she is a "Living Buddha". Or one who has attained "Full Realization" in a previous lifetime but who reincarnates even though he or she doesn't really have to in order to help and save suffering souls. For example, I would consider Jesus to be both a Mahasiddha and a tulku in this sense. I think those of you living in Christian nations would be really surprised by how highly Jesus is revered around the world in all types of cultures.

So the best translation for a Tulku or "Living Buddha" translated into English language or culture would be a Saint who became a Saint in a previous lifetime but who chose to reincarnate to save more souls. This is the best translation I can think of for Christians to better understand these two terms of Tulku and "Living Buddha".

So, let us imagine that this person is born and grows up and might be gifted and protected(all Tulkus have tutelary dieties and protectors). A good example of this would be some beings like Archangel Michael and his band always present to protect the Tulku from spiritual or physical harm. This protection has been earned by previously attained sainthood. So as the Tulku moves through his or her life one is usually very altruistic and a very helpful and kind person because this behavior was learned and mastered while becoming a Saint in a previous lifetime.

In the case of a Tulku this Sainthood could have taken place 20 years ago or 2 million years ago because this being is a Boddhisatva(someone who after attaining enlightenment keeps coming back to help others so they don't needlessly sink into hells. Generally, the tulku is protected from slipping back in a karmic way into a bad outcome.

So, the aura (presence) of a tulku radiates outward from the tulku and blesses all lives in close proximity or if this is an extremely highly developed tulku then all on earth or in the solar system would be blessed by this tulkus presence.

Though I'm not sure this is appropriate I first experienced this darshan(blessing) from an evolved being during the 1970s. Yes, I had experienced being in the same church with many evolved beings over the years but this was the first time I sensed the weather for up to 100 miles or more being affected by the presence of a spiritual being. It really took my breath away to experience this because though I had been told about this kind of thing. In the end Seeing is Believing even for an intuitive like myself. So after this experience I sought out more and more evolved beings who could have positive effects on people and all living things even if they were 100 or more miles away. So, my search for spiritual answers moved forward from my direct experiences in my life. Every answer led to a new question and a new answer and a new question. By now I realized the quest for truth and peace is never ending. However, I realized that it is always an adventure and the goal is not to get there because you never really can but you can have a really great time on the way. It is like a really fun chess game that gets more interesting each moment. So learning about efficiency of compassion becomes like a doctor learning how to keep people alive and to increase their quality of health. Only in this case it is increasing the quality of one's spiritual health so they don't needlessly suffer and sink into hells created by their own ignorance.

So, it is my understanding that what it actually is to be a Living Buddha, (I have met many) is to constantly be redirecting souls into better outcomes toward enlightenment and peace and happiness and away from bad outcomes.

No comments: