Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Unmistaken Child: The Movie

The local theater that plays independent and foreign films the most had this movie a few weeks ago. But I didn't find out about it until too late to see it. I was very happy that it arrived on Neflix for me to stream a few weeks later.

It is the story of how reincarnated lamas are found again when they reincarnate. This appears to be a documentary of the finding of a Geshe Rinpoche who was also a Cave Yogi(realized being) who spent most of his adult life meditating in caves and retreats.

In this documentary it shows how he is rediscovered and the methods used to find a Rinpoche that has hundreds and perhaps thousands of students all over the world. It includes him being recognized by the Dalai Lama.

It reminded me of many of my experiences in Rewalsar,and Dharmsala India and of my travels across India from Bodhagaya through Varanasi(Benares), Taj Mahal, New Delhi and finally Dharmsala and Rewalsar with another Geshe early in 1986 after receiving the Kalachakra Tantric initiation in Bodhgaya along with 500,000 others. The Geshe my family and I traveled across India with eventually came back to California with my family and his Darjeeling Tibetan translator.

There is this "Precious" quality of sincerity and compassion that I found in all the Tibetan Buddhists I met in Nepal and India at that time that comes through strongly in this movie. This documentary transports one to "a different planet" that still exists some places on earth today and has for about 1000 years throughout Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, Northern India, Mongolia and several other areas.

No comments: