Sunday, November 22, 2009

Superglue eyeglass screws

I learned this trick over the years after losing countless screws out of sunglasses(especially while skiing and riding bicycles). So I would have to buy the eyeglass repair kits with the little screws and little screwdrivers. Finally, I got the idea of super glueing the screws where the ear loops and the glasses meet. Some people like to glue the screw part in place but I don't agree. What I do is turn the glasses upside down and put a tiny little drop of crazy glue or super glue the size of the head of the little teeny screw head. It is so small that no one notices but it also prevents the screw working its way out as the loops open and close as you put them in your pocket or on your face over and over again. So for about 20 years now this is what I do for my sunglasses. If you have prescription glasses you will have to decide if this is a good idea or not. I don't superglue the threads because then there is no possibility of ever unscrewing the screws ever for any reason. Whereas if you only put a tiny drop on the head of the screw and plastic or metal surrounding there is still a remote chance in an emergency that you can flake or chip the drop of glue off and still unscrew it in an emergency should that arise.

No comments: