Saturday, June 12, 2010

Idea Man

When I was young (after 16 and before 25) I was often known as the "Funmeister" or as "Cosmic Fred" because I was always coming up with new fun ideas and things to do for all my friends. I think being bored a lot during the 1950s (being an only child, and no home computers or electronic games or anything like that made us very resourceful). If we weren't very creative those days it was very easy to just get bored to death. For the extremely bored to death (people that never did anything ever) even working at the most boring job was better than nothing.

However, I was never in the bored group because I would always get something going. So when I was 16 or over and bought my first car (a 1956 Ford Stationwagon) that I called my "Surfwagon" because it often had 10 foot plus surfboards hanging out the back on our way to Malibu or Huntington Beach on the weekends. And if we weren't going to the beach it was to the mountains, desert, San Diego (somewhere) every weekend we could. At since then gasoline was about 17 cents a gallon, 5 or 10 dollars took you a very long way anywhere you wanted to go that your parents would let you.

Like my father, I never ran out of interesting ideas to pursue. It's still that way even now.

No comments: