Saturday, June 12, 2010

input

My wife and my  daughter who is 14 often want to critique my blog site when I'm not asking them to. This was one of those times. My daughter tells me that I shouldn't write like I'm talking to you. However, writing as if I am talking to you, I believe is more friendly and intimate as if we were traveling the world together on a plane, train, bus,  and we met and talked about stuff and our travels and our lives. So the more distant form that they think I should use if I actually did that I would stop writing entirely because only with a more intimate form of communication do I find this a valuable thing to do at all for me. My communication with you I learned from my parents and friends  during the 1960s and 1970s when things I guess were much different than now. I knew a lot of alternative people who were experimenting with all sorts of ideas and buying land in the country and building their own homes on country acreage with their families and traveling all over the world meeting people and getting to know other cultures. In some ways I guess the world was safer then than now. But I guess it just depends where you go.

So even though they think I should use a more formal style like my daughter is being taught I'm not interested in doing that. If I can't be myself when I communicate why talk or write at all?

No comments: